Whitening your teeth at home can be done in several ways, such as with over-the-counter products or at the dentist’s office. However, there’s another way that many people don’t consider – getting professional teeth whitening through a dentist or hygienist.
While you may have heard about what this process involves, it’s not necessarily something you would do on your own, and you may be hesitant to ask your dentist about it.
What Is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Professional teeth whitening is a process that uses bleaching agents to remove stains and discoloration from teeth. The bleaching agents used in professional teeth whitening are more vital than those available over the counter, so the results are more dramatic.
Professional teeth whitening is safe for most people, but it’s essential to talk to your dentist before you start the process. If you decide to go ahead with professional teeth whitening, ask your dentist about all the risks associated with this procedure. That way, you can ensure that professional teeth whitening is right for you.
Why Do Professional Teeth Whitening Matter?
Professional teeth whitening is vital for several reasons:
- It can help you achieve the desired results more quickly.
- Professional teeth whitening can help to remove any unwanted blemishes or to stain on your teeth, giving you a brighter, whiter smile.
- Professional teeth whitening is conducted by trained professionals who know how to safely and effectively whiten your teeth.
- Professional teeth whitening is more affordable than over-the-counter options.
- Professional teeth whitening can be done in the comfort of your own home.
- Professional teeth whitening is a convenient option for busy people who don’t have time to visit the dentist.
Are There Any Drawbacks To Going For Professional Teeth Whitening?
While professional teeth whitening is a great way to achieve brighter teeth, there are some drawbacks that you should be aware of before making an appointment:
- The treatment can be expensive.
- Your dental insurance may not cover it.
- It can take multiple sessions to achieve the desired results.
- Your teeth may become more sensitive after the treatment.
- You may need to avoid certain foods and drinks for some time after the treatment.
- You may need to use a special toothpaste or mouthwash.
- You may need to avoid smoking for some time after the treatment.
How Long Does It Take To See Results After The Consultation?
It all starts with a consultation with your dentist to see if you are a candidate for teeth whitening. Once it is determined that you are a good candidate, impressions of your teeth are taken to create custom-fitted trays.
The time it takes to see results after this process depends on the severity of your staining and how often you use the whitening trays, but it usually takes around two weeks. If you’re considering professional teeth whitening, ask your dentist about their policy on touch-ups.
How Long Will The Effects Last?
The effects of professional teeth whitening can last for several years, but it is important to note that this will vary from person to person, states My Dentist San Francisco. Additionally, it is essential to maintain good oral hygiene habits and avoid foods and drinks that can stain your teeth. With proper care, your teeth will stay looking their best.
Tips To Maximize Results
1. Schedule an appointment with your dentist for a consultation.
2. Follow your dentist’s recommendations for at-home care.
3. Avoid eating or drinking anything that could stain your teeth for at least 24 hours before your appointment.
4. Be sure to brush and floss your teeth before your appointment.
5. Wear comfortable clothing to your appointment.
6. Relax and let the professionals do their job!
7. Have your teeth whitened every 3-6 months, depending on your lifestyle and eating habits.
8. People who smoke, drink coffee, tea, or red wine regularly should have professional teeth whitening more often than those who don’t partake in these activities.
9. Makeup can also be abrasive enough to cause tooth discoloration.
10. Take good care of your teeth; they will last a lifetime.
In conclusion, professional teeth whitening is a great way to achieve brighter, whiter teeth. It is essential to consult with your dentist before beginning any whitening treatment, as they can assess your individual needs and recommend the best course of action. You can maintain your newly-whitened smile for years to come with proper care.