Arun Singh Dhumal is an Indian businessman who is known for being the younger brother of Sports Minister Anurag Thakur. He is also known for being appointed as the chairman of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in 2022.
Arun Singh Dhumal was born on 25 August 1976 (age 46 years; as of 2022) in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Arun belongs to a Rajput family.
Parents & Siblings
Arun’s father, Prem Kumar Dhumal, was a politician and a two-time Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh from 1998 to 2002 and from 2008 to 2013. His mother, Sheela Devi, is a homemaker. His brother, Anurag Thakur, is a politician.
Wife & Children
Arun got married to Vasudha Thakur on 27 May 2003. They have a son, Dhruv Pratap Singh, and a daughter, Nayantara Dhumal.
He was appointed as the director of Sant Valves Private Limited, Jalandhar on 1 October 2002. In 2014, he became the director of Jaiaditya Holdings Private Limited, Jalandhar.
In 2012, he became the director of Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association. In 2019, he became the treasurer of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). In 2022, he was appointed as the chairman of IPL.
Illegal occupation of a land
In 2013, Arun along with his brother Anurag Thakur was alleged of cheating and conspiracy in a land case. In an FIR against Arun and Anurag, it was mentioned that they had forged documents by giving money to the officials to purchase land from a Dalit man named Premu. During the enquiry, it was revealed that the land could not be sold before 20 years, but when Arun and Anurag bought it from the owner, he owned it for only fifteen years. In an interview, the brothers talked about this and said,
This is political vendetta to malign me and HPCA and tarnish my image. If Virbhadra Singh thinks that by registering two more FIRS, they (Congress) can win Lok Sabha elections, then he can go ahead with it. We will fight the case and vindicate our position.”
- In 2019, it was reported that there were no nominations against Arun for the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association president’s vote.
- In 2013, he questioned the increase in Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh’s income between 2008 to 2011.
- In 2019, when he became the treasurer of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), many people on Twitter criticized the decision and said that it was because of dynasty politics that he was chosen.
- In an interview, he said that the position of IPL chairman was offered to Sourav Ganguly, but he denied it. In the interview, he talked about this and said,
He was offered IPL chairmanship, else Roger would never have had a chance, he is 67 (age limit being 70). He has been a World Cup winner for us, that was the view of the house. If Dada accepted IPL chairmanship, I would have been out. And I would have been okay with that.”
- In 2022, it was reported that BCCI’s treasury increased by Rs 6000 crore in three years from 2019 to 2022.