MMore than two and a half years after the attack on a ZDF team on the sidelines of a demonstration against the Corona measures at the time, the Berlin public prosecutor’s office has brought charges. She accuses three men and a woman of dangerous bodily harm, a spokesman said on Monday. The 27 to 33-year-old defendants come from Berlin and Baden-Württemberg. They are said to have stepped on and hit the ZDF team on May 1, 2020, some with metal bars. Some of those attacked were seriously injured, and according to the indictment, some wounds had to be treated surgically.
The television team had filmed a demonstration against the state corona measures, it was on the ZDF order for the satirical format “heute-show”. After that, it had been attacked in a side street near Alexanderplatz. According to earlier police reports, up to 25 hooded people dressed in black were involved. The attack was “targeted”.
The state security agency of the State Criminal Police Office (LKA), which is responsible for politically motivated acts, took over the investigation. This turned out to be complicated because the attackers are said to have taken off or changed their clothes while fleeing. In several calls, investigators searched for witnesses and asked for photos and videos.
After the attack, the police arrested six suspects, some of whom are said to belong to the left-wing scene. They were released a little later. DNA evidence was found at the crime scene. According to a decision by the Tiergarten district court, investigators were allowed to take and use DNA samples from six suspects.
After their analysis, the public prosecutor’s office is now convinced that the four suspects attacked the ZDF team – journalists and security guards. Hooded, they are said to have knocked down their victims and then kicked the people lying on the ground “with great force” in the heads. According to the public prosecutor’s office, two of the victims temporarily lost consciousness.
The two men from Berlin and a 30-year-old and her 28-year-old brother from Baden-Württemberg are now to be tried at the Tiergarten district court. There is no date yet. The court must first admit the indictment. Proceedings against two other suspects were dropped, according to the public prosecutor’s office. Based on video recordings, it cannot be ruled out that they only joined the group after the crime.