Man killed by ecstasy in Bavaria: More poisoned bottles surfaced after champagne death
The Federal Office for Consumer Protection warns again about champagne bottles contaminated with ecstasy. Last year, a man in the Upper Palatinate died after consuming one of the affected products.
After the fall of a bottle filled with ecstasy instead of champagne in a restaurant in Weiden in der Oberpfalz, further poisoned bottles have appeared. As a spokesman for the public prosecutor’s office of the German Press Agency said, several champagne bottles, which were also filled with the liquid drug, were secured nationwide. In this case, the case will be determined together with customs throughout Europe.
On the night of February 13, 2022, eight people in Weiden drank together from a champagne bottle, which, however, was filled with the liquid ecstasy drug MDMA instead of the noble drink. One man died and seven guests were injured. A few days later there was a similar incident in the Netherlands, in which four people were injured.
The landlord in Weiden had ordered the champagne bottle on the Internet and is not considered a suspect, as the spokesman for the authorities emphasized again. “It was a tragic coincidence.” It could have happened to another restaurant or private individuals. For tactical reasons, the spokesman did not want to reveal details of the investigation.
Ecstasy in champagne: You should be careful with these warnings
The other bottles appeared because people had contacted the authorities with information about suspicious bottles. When a man opened a bottle, for example, he noticed that the contents were not bubbling as usual. It cannot be ruled out that other bottles filled with MDMA are in circulation, said the prosecutor.
The Federal Office for Consumer Protection had already warned against consuming bottles from two specific batches last year. Specifically, it is about three-liter bottles of Moët & Chandon Ice Impérial with the lot code LAJ7QAB6780004 and LAK5SAA6490005, which can be found on the label on the back of the bottle.
If the contents of the bottle – unlike champagne – do not bubble and have a reddish-brown color and smell of anise, they should not be drunk. “Don’t try anything,” the agency warned. Even tasting it without swallowing it could lead to serious health problems. “Taking a small sip can be fatal,” the warning said.
The original of this post “Further poisoned bottles found after champagne death” comes from chip.de.
Leave a Reply