Palki Sharma Upadhyay is a prominent Indian news anchor and journalist. She hit the headlines on 2 September 2022 when she quit the WION News channel as its Managing Editor.
Palki Sharma was born on Saturday, 29 May 1982 (age 40 years; as of 2022) in Pilani, Rajasthan, Indi. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She was brought up in Delhi, India. She completed her school education at Loreto Convent, Tara Hall, Shimla. Later, she attained a master’s degree in Communication and Journalism from ICG Institute for Educational Research & Development, Jaipur, Rajasthan. Palki Sharma Upadhyay qualified and certified as C1 French Learner from Alliance Francaise de, Delhi. Palki S Upadhyay was brought up in a high-class family.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
According to some media sources, her father is a former Indian cricketer, and her mother works as a beautician in Delhi.
Palki Sharma Upadhyay has a sister named Sanchita.
Husband & Children
In 2008, Palki Sharma Upadhyay got married to Sanket Upadhyay who works as a Senior Journalist at NDTV. The couple has two children, a son and a daughter. Her daughter’s name is Manya Upadhyay.
Palki Sharma Upadhyay started working as a journalist and news anchor in Doordarshan, India’s largest broadcasting television network, in 2002. She was assigned the task to host the national and regional television programs of the channel. She was given an additional charge to shortlist, format, and write stories on current affairs for the channel.
She joined Hindustan Times in 2004 as a Staff Writer and started writing stories on civic and social issues prevailing in the country. During her one-year tenure at Hindustan Times, she was given the responsibility of reviewing films and copy-editing details of the newspaper’s Jaipur edition.
She then joined ‘CNN-News18,’ India’s largest English-language news television channel, in May 2005 and began working as its Anchor and Senior Editor. She served this news channel for more than a decade and used to handle various news and chat programs. She was a popular news anchor of that decade and became popular for interviewing different prominent personalities of the country such as cabinet ministers, opposition leaders, business heads, social activists, artists, authors, sports stars, film stars, and young achievers. She was handling the writing, formatting, and presentation work of the channel. She was the key person who used to review books for IBNLive.com. She was in charge to conduct many live online chats connected to various current affairs and public interest.
In 2016, Palki S Upadhyay began working with the news channel, iTV Network and during this year, she was considered as the most successful anchor and journalist of the year in India. She worked with the network for a very short time and was responsible for conducting daily debates and discussion programs on the channel, especially, related to politics and its guidelines. She was in charge to guide and train her colleagues and subordinates at iTV Network by interviewing varied trending personalities. She was the key person of the channel to draft daily news plans of the channel.
In 2019, she joined WION, an Indian multinational English news channel headquartered in New Delhi and after working for three years as Managing Editor of the channel, she quit on 2 September 2022.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
In 2007, Palki S Upadhyay received the Best News Reader Award. In 2020, she was honoured with the ‘Best International News Show’ in English award for ‘Gravitas’ at News Broadcasting Awards (ENBA).
- Books: Indian Summer by Alex Von Tunzelmann, Angela’s Ashes by Frank Mc Court, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, In Other Rooms and Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin, and Love In A Blue Time by Hanif Kureishi.
- In her leisure time, she likes reading books, cooking different types of food for her family members, and interior designing.
- According to Palki S Upadhyay, since childhood, she likes painting pots as a recreational activity. Some media reports mentioned that apart from being a professional news anchor, Palki has a variety of inbuilt artistic talents.
- In a media conversation, Palki uncovered that her parents had a love marriage, and there was a romantic love story behind their marriage. She added that she loved their love story and liked listening to the same from her mother, frequently. She said that if she ever got a chance to write a romantic novel in her life, she would pen the love story of her parents in future.
- Palki S Upadhyay likes wearing a variety of sarees and had a collection of the same for different occasions. She is the founder of a saree brand named Revya. Her passion and ardent desire for sarees inspired her to start her own venture. The varied and unique saree designs of her brand show her taste in fashion.
- Palki S Upadhyay is known for advocating the issues related to Iraqi refugees and Tibetans in India. She is the one who came into the limelight for covering the presidential campaign of Barack Obama in the United States exclusively for India.
- According to Palki S Upadhyay, she was born and brought up in a family which followed many orthodox rules and regulations for girls. In an interview with a media reporter, she talked about her life before and after marriage. She stated that she experienced a joyful life after marriage. Her in-laws never stopped her to cover late-hour breaking news outside the home. However, her own parents restricted her to work during odd hours as a correspondent.