Dous people have suffered cardiac arrest while rushing to Seoul’s Halloween celebrations. As the South Korean news agency Yonhap reported on Sunday night (local time), 120 people died and 100 were injured. The rescue workers had to carry out numerous resuscitation measures. The tragedy happened in Itaewon, a popular nightlife district in the South Korean capital. According to media reports, around 100,000 people were in the district at the time of the accident.
There is no official statement about the cause of the tragedy. However, it is believed that a large crowd tried to pour into a small alley and people were crushed to death in the process. It was the city’s biggest Halloween celebration since the coronavirus pandemic began.
There are numerous photos and videos from the evening in Itaewon district on the Twitter platform. They show crowds of people pushing through the streets of the nightlife district. Other footage shows dozens of rescue workers attempting to revive people lying on the ground. A fire department spokesman told the AFP news agency that more than 140 ambulances had been dispatched to the scene.
President Yoon Suk-yeol ordered more emergency personnel to be sent to the region and hospital beds to be prepared. Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon, who is currently visiting Europe, is said to have announced his immediate return, according to Yonhap.