Nfter the heaviest Russian rocket attacks in weeks, Ukraine is continuing to work in the rain and cold to restore power and water supplies. After the attacks on the energy infrastructure, the power supply has been restored for almost six million people, said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday in his video message distributed every evening in Kyiv. “The repair work continues,” said Zelenskyj, referring to the “terrorist attack” on Friday. Russia had fired more than 70 rockets at the country.
In view of the severe damage, Zelenskyy called on the international community to give Ukraine the means to protect its airspace. What is meant is an effective anti-aircraft system. “You can do that. You can give our people protection – 100 percent protection against these Russian terrorist strikes,” said Zelenskyy. Accordingly, Ukraine is waiting for final approvals for the delivery of the weapons. Selenskyj is hoping for the US Patriot air defense systems. This is to prevent damage to the infrastructure in the future.
“Problems with the heating, big problems with the water supply remain,” Zelenskyy said. Accordingly, millions of people are still affected by power outages and other restrictions. The situation is most difficult in the city of Kyiv and in the region, but also in Vinnytsia and its surroundings and in Lviv. There are also power outages in other regions such as Odessa, Poltava and Dnipropetrovsk.
Ukraine spoke of more than 70 rocket attacks on Friday, most of which were intercepted by air defenses. As a result of the hits and damage, the power and water supply failed again in many regions. In the capital Kyiv and in the Kharkiv region, among others, the authorities reported progress in restoring the supply. In the Kiev region it was said that 50 percent of households still had no electricity.
Kiev’s Mayor Vitali Klitschko had previously announced that the water supply in the metropolis had been restored. In three quarters of the households, the heating is also working again. However, there were still problems with the power supply.
Baerbock: No hope for an early ceasefire in Ukraine
Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock (Greens) has no hope of a ceasefire in Ukraine any time soon. “Nobody but (Vladimir) Putin started this war, and if Putin wants it, then the war will be over tomorrow,” she told the “Bild am Sonntag”. The Russian President only has to order his soldiers to withdraw. “Unfortunately, there are anything but honest signs of this.” She also opposed a ceasefire on Russian terms: such a ceasefire would not end the “horror” for the people of Ukraine, “on the contrary.”
Nobel laureate: War crimes tribunal can save lives
According to Ukrainian Nobel Peace Prize winner Olexandra Matviychuk, the establishment of a tribunal for Russian war crimes could have a short-term impact on the actions of the Russian army in her country. “Even if we take the first steps to an international tribunal, that sends a signal to the perpetrators that they will be held accountable,” the lawyer told the “Tagesspiegel” (Sunday). “That can potentially save lives.” Together with partners and witnesses, 27,000 cases of war crimes have been documented. “That’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Head of state Selenskyj had already campaigned for a special tribunal before the UN General Assembly in September. Matviychuk received the Nobel Peace Prize for the Center for Civil Liberties she heads.
Leave a Reply