Vijay Nair is an Indian businessman, who is known for being the founder of India’s biggest indie music and comedy management company Only Much Louder (OML). He came to the limelight on 28 September 2022 when he was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation for his connection to the Delhi Excise Policy scam case.
Vijay Nair was born in 1984 (age 38 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. He is a dropout from Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about his family. His brother’s name is Ajay Nair, who is a businessman.
Nair started his career at the age of 18 and began Only Much Louder, India’s first artist management firm for Indian indie bands in 2002. The company organizes various music and comedy programmes like the Dewarists, MTV Tripping, AIB Roast and Stage42. When he started his business, he did not have many collaborators till 2007, but around 2006-2007, the business started growing digitally. Apart from organizing programmes, his company also runs its own ticketing and technology platform, Insider. in.
He joined the AAP in 2014. Between 2018 and 2019, he used to plan the social media strategy, party events, and fundraising for the party. In 2019 he started managing the campaign on his own. In 2020, he was a part-time volunteer of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) campaign in the 2020 elections for the Delhi State Legislative Assembly. He was responsible for managing social media accounts and planning party events while working for the AAP.
Nair stalked by a women
In 2017, he attracted controversy when he was stalked by a woman from November 2015 to February 2016. Nair himself found out about the stalker with the help of his security personnel and filed an FIR against ‘Geeta.’
Nair accused of sexual harassment
In 2018, Caravan magazine printed an article about Nair that said he had a toxic work environment for female employees. In the reports, Nair was accused of sexual harassment when he was the CEO of OML. The report further stated,
He asked a woman to get into a bathtub with him and told another at 2 am that he needed a massage. He even sent explicit images—including one in which a man appeared to be ejaculating—to a woman, without her consent.”
Nair arrested in connection to Delhi Excise Policy scam case
In 2022, when he was arrested by the CBI after being questioned for a few days. In reference to Nair, AAP talked about him and said,
We strongly condemn these unconstitutional and illegal methods being adopted by the BJP. All allegations against Vijay Nair and AAP leaders are false and completely baseless.”
- Before starting Only Much Louder in 2002, he used to work with ventures such as Procter & Gamble’s web portal Masti.com and Gigpad.com when he was fifteen years old.
- He dropped out of college at the age of eighteen and started managing leading Indian indie bands, including Pentagram, Zero, Pin Drop Violence, and others. He wanted to take a break and join college again, but after his business started to flourish, he did not go back to college.
- His family did not stop him from leaving the college because they thought that he was not wasting time sitting ideally at home, but was working hard on his business.
- In an interview, he said that he had no knowledge of music before starting the business. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
I started listening to bands when I was 15 or 16. Before international bands, I started listening to Indian bands. That’s how I got into it more seriously. For me, my journey has been about building a business and the love of doing that as opposed to just the love of music itself because music came in after I started the company. I wasn’t a major music connoisseur before that. I was a fan first in terms of what I was doing and I just wanted to work and get something done.”
- In 2016, he was on the list of Fortune India’s 40 under 40 which honours the most influential young leaders every year.