The Deutschlandticket will be valid from May and will then enable nationwide use of local and regional transport for EUR 49 a month. Sales will start on Monday.
With the 9-euro ticket, Germany was the land of public transport for three months in 2022. The company wants to continue to use the success with a permanently cheap subscription 2023 to get people away from the car. That’s what came out 49 euro ticket, also called Deutschlandticket. It offers the same general conditions as the 9-euro ticket, only the competitive price from summer 2022 could not be maintained. Otherwise it applies to the Regional transport throughout Germanybut
- Children are not included in the ticket
- no bike transport
- the ticket is not transferable
Important: That Deutschlandticket is designed as a subscription , which can be canceled at least monthly. The originally planned start date of January 1, 2023 could not be met. Now it’s time May 1, 2023 Come on .
With the Deutschlandticket app, a new app is already coming into play with which you can Pre-order the 49-euro ticket can. The ticket will then automatically be sent to your mobile phone in time for the official start of sales on April 3rd.
The Deutschlandticket app can do that
The Deutschlandticket app is not an official app of an authority or Deutsche Bahn. It comes from HanseCom Public Transport, which already has extensive experience with public transport tickets on smartphones with the HandyTicket Deutschland. A special app has been created for the Deutschlandticket, which integrates the services of various transport companies in Germany in the background. This is the range of functions:
- Preorder & Purchase: You can already pre-order the Deutschlandticket via the app; when you start with the 49-euro ticket, it will be transferred to the app in good time and the monthly amount will be debited.
- Registration: The app is only a means to an end for buying and managing the Deutschlandticket subscription. In the background, however, more than 20 transport associations are connected. When you register, you sign up with one of these companies. For the Germany ticket and handling in the app, it doesn’t matter whether it’s Stadtverkehr Friedrichshafen GmbH, Duisburger Verkehrsgesellschaft or another company. However, if you have problems with billing, you must contact the company you have selected, as this is the official contractual partner for the subscription.
- User management: Creating and managing customer and payment methods works via the app
- Subscription Management: The Deutschlandticket is only available as a monthly cancellable subscription that you can buy, manage and cancel via the app.
- Output as mobile ticket: If you don’t cancel it in between, the Deutschlandticket will be generated monthly and automatically made available as a mobile ticket in the app, so that users can quickly show it when they are checked
- Payment options: Currently, payment only works via SEPA direct debit and credit card. Other payment options such as PayPal, Apple Pay and Google Pay are to follow.
- FAQ & Support: The app provides answers to the most important questions about the Germany ticket. In the help area you will find contact options for the connected transport associations.
There are many alternatives
Even if the Deutschlandticket app has a great name, it is not a prerequisite for being able to travel with the successor to the 9-euro ticket. Rather, the app is a way to buy the Germany ticket and because the makers were quick, you can pre-order the subscription now.
But until it really gets going and you can travel with the 49-euro ticket, there will be other options to buy the Deutschlandticket. Customers already know them from the 9-euro ticket.
For example, you can use DB Navigator from Deutsche Bahn for the purchase or many apps from regional transport companies. If you already have an app from a provider including a user account, it is easier to use this app for the Germany ticket as well. Because then you don’t have to register again.
A purchase in DB travel centers should still be possible with the 49-euro ticket. You do not have to worry that the tickets could be sold out at some point, a reservation or pre-order is not necessary.
But if you are sure that you want to travel with the Deutschlandticket as soon as it officially starts, then you can use the Deutschlandticket app to get down to business and take out the subscription this way.