Kilt accessories are an important part of the modern Scottish kilt accessories set, also, a part of the Irish kilt accessories set, considered by some to be the manliest of all formal kilt outfits as it is both bold and endearing. Wearing a kilt on its own is not the same as wearing a kilt outfit. The difference lies in the jacket and the accessories that you choose to wear the kilt. Often called Highlands Dress, a proper kilt outfit comes with all of the accessories, ranging from something as small as the kilt belt to the kilt hose flags to something as prominent as the kilt jacket and sporran.
There are a few accessories you need to keep in mind when you are considering buying a new kilt outfit if you want to follow tradition and look your best.
The Occasions To Wear Kilt Accessories
There are actually many situations when modern kilt accessories are appropriate.
The first is a formal event where black-tie and “white tie” attire is required and what is appropriate for each. It does not address the kilt or Scottish attire, but can be a very helpful resource for people who are less familiar with the rules of etiquette for men’s formal wear. This will include Scottish weddings and other formal gatherings.
Another time when the kilt accessories are appropriate is during Scottish heritage events such as the Highland Games and Ceilidh. These games take place all over Scotland, during the summer months, and you will see not only the competing athletes and dancers are also wearing kilts at Scottish ceilidh dance.
- Another situation to wearing a kilt is during Scottish National team sports such as football where fans become the tartan army.
- During these events, the kilt is usually combined with a casual football shirt and chunky shoes which make up the uniform of the tartan army.
Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
The Edinburgh Military Tattoo is one of the very best kilt occasions.
- As one of Scotland’s most famous visitor attractions, it features acts from all over the world, and is truly a world class spectacular with massed pipe bands, Scottish dancing, martial arts displays and much much more.
- So if you happen to be in Scotland during August, I strongly recommend seeing this show, and wearing your formal kilt.
National Tartan Day
- Tartan Day is one of the major kilt occasions, where America and Canada celebrate the strong links between their countries and Scotland.
- It is a national holiday in America, and is celebrated as National Tartan Day on the 6th of April.
- Many different towns and cities across both America and Canada celebrate with massed pipe bands and many forms of Scottish culture.
- It is a chance to recognize the outstanding achievements and contributions made by Scottish Americans to the United States.
- Every year more and more students attending graduation ceremonies, are choosing to receive their degrees dressed in their kilts.
- On one of the most important days of their college or university career, they want to dress up in their finest clothes.
- And for many this could only mean wearing their kilts, as they wish to display their Celtic heritage.
“Attending church, there are countless occasions when you can wear your kilt”
- People want to wear a formal kilt outfit, because they are going to a formal event. If that is true, then the kilt jacket is the most important place to start. The Modern Kilt Jackets can be chosen depending on just how formal you want to look.
- There are traditional kilt shirts, called ghillie shirts and Jacobite shirts, that should be worn for formal events.
- Your tartan kilt has no pockets, you will need a sporran. The sporrans is the pouch that attaches to your kilt using either a chain or a leather strap tucked through the metal loops often found on the sides of the kilts.
- Kilt belt buckles are matched with a Prince Charlie jacket and a bow tie or straight tartan tie.
- If you want to accessorize further, you can find a kilt pin, which also has the wiggle room of being as plain or as decorative as you’d like.
- Tartan ties are worn for very casual situations. This is an affordable and cheap kilt accessory for your traditional kilt set.
- The socks worn with the kilt are called kilt hoses and are made from wool. These long and thick kilt hose (socks) were traditionally cream and worn with formal kilts.
- Kilt hose is important, and kilt flashes are just as important to put the finishing touches on the look.
- These kilt shoes are made from leather with a metal insert in the heel and laces that go halfway up the calf.
For Our Customers
Need some more information about Formal Kilt Outfits ? We’ll be glad to assist you. Contact us: at (800) 999-0100 or [email protected] for assistance.