Pooja Vastrakar is an Indian cricketer, who is understood for her right-hand medium bowling and hanging runs at decrease order.
Pooja Vastrakar was born on Saturday, 25 September 1999 (age 23 years; as of 2022) in Shahdol, Madhya Pradesh. Her zodiac signal is Libra. She did her education at Gyanodya Greater Secondary College. Pooja needed to play cricket identical to the boys of her locality in Shahdol. In an interview, she mentioned,
I used to be a great gully cricketer, so I urged my sister to assist me get into an academy. She went across the city to seek out one, however got here again to say that none of them educated women. So I left eager about it.”
After breaking too many home windows and shedding numerous balls whereas enjoying within the colony, the kids determined to play within the floor amenities of one of many cricket academies close by, which remained unused within the morning. She was good at gully cricket. In an interview, she mentioned,
Ek do overs hello milte hain, aur principal woh ek do overs mein hello kuch na kuch kamaal kar deti thi (I’d get just one or two overs however I’d do one thing wonderful in them),”
One such day, she was observed by her coach, Ashutosh Shrivastava, who determined to provide her formal coaching for cricket. In an interview, Vastrakar revealed,
We used to play 4-over video games. As luck would have it, on one of many days when it was my flip to bat, I hit just a few sixes, one man noticed me. He got here and requested me if I used to be to hitch the academy and took me to Ashutosh Shrivastav, who has been my coach since then.”
Srivastava began giving her coaching at his academy, Gulmohar Cricket Academy, which was an all-boys facility. Vastrakar was the one woman who took coaching there.
Peak (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Dad and mom & Siblings
Vastrakar’s father, Bandhan Ram Vastrakar, is a retired worker of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Restricted (BSNL). Her mom died when Pooja was merely ten years outdated. Pooja is the youngest of her seven siblings, which embrace 4 sisters and two brothers. Her elder sister, Usha Vastrakar, is a national-level sprinter.
Pooja follows Hinduism and worships Lord Ganesha.
- 2nd most runs in an innings (by batting at eighth place) – 67 runs of 59 balls in IND Ladies vs PAK Ladies at Mount Maunganui in ICC Ladies’s World Cup on 6 Mar 2022.
- The very best partnership for the seventh wicket or decrease in Ladies’s ODIs – 122 runs in IND Ladies vs PAK Ladies at Mount Maunganui in ICC Ladies’s World Cup on 6 Mar 2022. Additionally it is the first-century stand for the seventh wicket or decrease at Ladies’s World Cups.
- The primary pair to attain the fifties in the identical innings in ladies’s ODIs whereas batting at No. 7 or decrease – in IND Ladies vs PAK Ladies at Mount Maunganui in ICC Ladies’s World Cup on 6 Mar 2022.
- The second batter with a number of fifty-plus scores whereas batting at No. 8 and decrease in ladies’s ODIs.
- The primary batter to attain a fifty whereas batting at No. 9 or decrease – towards Australia in 2018.
- third most runs in an innings (by batting at eighth place) – 37 runs of 26 balls in IND Ladies vs AUS Ladies at Carrara in India Ladies tour of Australia on 9 Oct 2021.
- 2nd highest partnership for the tenth wicket – 37 runs in IND Ladies vs AUS Ladies at Carrara in India Ladies tour of Australia on 9 Oct 2021.
Pooja Vastrakar has performed for the Rewa division in addition to the Shahdol division in Madhya Pradesh and Central Zone. Since she was the one lady cricketer within the Rewa division, most components of her observe befell with the boys. By the point she turned 13, she was enjoying for the state under-19 facet. A 12 months later, she was named in Madhya Pradesh’s senior group. She made her debut in main home cricket in a Twenty20 match towards Odisha on 9 March 2013. Initially, Pooja began with batting. In a dialog with the media, Pooja disclosed that when the coach requested the group to divide primarily based on batters and bowlers, she recognized herself as a batter and stood within the line with the remainder of them; nevertheless, she injured her ring finger mistakenly with a door’s hinge and couldn’t bat for just a few days. At that second, her coach requested her to attempt bowling and ultimately she switched to bowling. On the age of 15, she turned part of the India Inexperienced Ladies Squad.
In October 2018, she was named in India’s squad for the 2018 ICC Ladies’s World Twenty20 event within the West Indies; nevertheless, she was dominated out of the event as a consequence of an damage, which she suffered in a warm-up match. She made her Ladies’s One Day Worldwide cricket (WODI) debut for India Ladies towards South Africa Ladies on 10 February 2018, and he or she made her Ladies’s Twenty20 Worldwide cricket (WT20I) debut for India Ladies towards South Africa Ladies on 13 February 2018. The 2018 Challenger Trophy turned a turning level in her profession because it turned the premise of her choice within the squad for the South Africa tour and in addition for her to be handed a central contract primarily based on solely six worldwide appearances. In January 2020, she was named in India’s squad for the 2020 ICC Ladies’s T20 World Cup in Australia. Later, in Might 2021, she was named in India’s Check squad for his or her one-off match towards the England ladies’s cricket group. She made her Check debut towards England on 16 June 2021. In January 2022, she was named in India’s group for the 2022 Ladies’s Cricket World Cup in New Zealand. Throughout the IND Ladies vs PAK Ladies at Mount Maunganui in ICC Ladies’s World Cup on 6 Mar 2022, Pooja performed an instrumental position within the victory of the group and was additionally given the title of the Participant of the Match.
In an interview, she relived her mindset and the situation of the match. She mentioned,
After I walked in, Charu di (Rana) was set and he or she advised me that solely the 2 of us had been left to make amends, so we should play out the total 50 overs,”
I had a sense from inside that we should attempt to set 180-200 as a goal, so we began enjoying with that aim in thoughts. However we had been conscious that if we might get ourselves set, we might rating extra … Given we had only a few wickets in hand, we determined we might deal in solely doubles and singles until the Forty fifth-over mark, and we’d go for the cost solely within the final 5 overs.”
In IND Ladies vs NZ Ladies at Hamilton in ICC Ladies’s World Cup on March 10, 2022, Pooja showcased her sensible efficiency but once more and took a complete of 4 wickets. She impressed everyone along with her one-handed throw which resulted in New Zealand’s Suzie Bates getting run out. She additionally made headlines for hitting the largest six of the ICC Ladies’s World Cup 2022 towards Australia, which was an enormous 81-metre huge hit.
— The Bridge (@the_bridge_in) March 19, 2022
BSNL colony, Shahdol, Madhya Pradesh
- Pooja Vastrakar’s nickname is Chhoti and is commonly known as Chota Hardik due to the similarities between her and Hardik Pandya together with the way in which of selecting up the ball and launching it.
- Pooja has been nicknamed ‘Babloo’ by her India captain and ‘Babulal’ by the group’s fielding coach and her teammates. In an interview, she revealed,
Hardik Pandya had streaked his hair blue lately, so Mithu di (Mithali Raj) gave him the nickname ‘Bablue/Babloo’. And, then, she began calling me the identical kyunki woh mujhe chhota Hardik Pandya bulaatey hain (as a result of they name me junior Hardik Pandya).”
- In an interview, the India fielding coach, Biju George, expressed his rationale behind giving Vastrakar the nickname ‘Babulal’. He mentioned,
Have you ever seen these movies of canine barking the lions away? That’s Babulal. Pooja jogs my memory of a man who was all pores and skin and bones, however, on the similar time, all combat.”
- Reportedly, Pooja used to play cricket with a laundry stick or wood strap throughout her childhood days with the boys of her locality.
- She usually credit enjoying at an all-boys facility for a seamless transition into the ladies’s sport.
- In an interview, Vastrakar revealed her bouncer observe and its relation with Indian cricketer Suresh Raina. She mentioned,
After I went to the NCA for an Underneath-19 camp in 2015, the wicket on the finish was fairly inexperienced. I had learn two months earlier that [Suresh] Raina had been struggling towards the bouncer, and will need to have been on the NCA to work on that. I puzzled if it was the identical wicket the place he had honed his sport towards the bouncer. The ball was rising properly, so I believed, ‘All proper, let me check out a bouncer right here’. Then even on flat wickets I began bowling it. Within the home video games, I began bowling one virtually each over, first or second ball.”
- Vastrakar takes inspiration from cricketer, Jhulan Goswami, and he or she aspires to be like her. In an interview, she mentioned,
However as a feminine cricketer, Jhulu di (Jhulan Goswami) has been a job mannequin. From the start I’ve seen her, have examine her; she is such a constant bowler. She backs me so much and tells me, ‘That is how you have to use the non-bowling arm. For those who attempt, you possibly can bump up your pace to 120-125kmph. Unko dekhke chalna hai aur unke jaisa banna hai (I wish to observe her path and turn into like her).”
- In 2016. earlier than India’s tour of Australia, Pooja suffered a lower-back damage that put her out of rivalry for a spot within the squad. She admitted that it was due to extended neglect on her half.
- Later, she sprained her leg simply earlier than the house collection towards Sri Lanka which shelved her probabilities of a nationwide call-up.
- In October 2016, whereas Vastrakar was fielding throughout a senior ladies’s home one-dayer between MP and Punjab, her knee received twisted resulting in an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear for which she needed to bear knee surgical procedure. This additional deferred her nationwide call-up.
- Reportedly, Pooja maintained her self-confidence and braveness in her powerful occasions by watching motivational movies of the speaker, Sandeep Maheshwari, and Olympians on YouTube and Fb.
- When her coach, Srivastava, heard of Pooja’s knee damage, he was devastated. In an interview, he recalled,
When she twisted her knee and needed to get the surgical procedure finished in January final 12 months, I used to be the one who was depressed,”
However Pooja was assured she’d get by means of all of it. When she returned residence, after getting some 15-20 days of relaxation and her rehab, her zeal to make it to the Indian facet solely received stronger.”
- After efficiently recovering from her damage, Pooja centered on all of the positives and attributed her elevated tempo from 105 kmph to round 110 kmph to her post-surgery evaluation of her bowling.
- In Might 2022, Vastrakar appeared as a visitor within the comedy discuss present, The Kapil Sharma Present, on Sony TV.
- Hailing from a middle-class background, Pooja goals to assist her household financially. Her father revealed in an interview that aside from serving to her father she additionally contributed a big amount of cash to her sister’s marriage from her revenue.
- Pooja revealed in a media dialog that she earned Rs.1200 per home match for U19 sport. She collected round Rs.15000 from the U19 matches and bought an English Willow bat price Rs.4500 and a pair of studs price Rs.1200 with that cash since she had no sponsorships again then. She mentioned that she by no means requested her father to spend cash on her cricket gear as a result of she didn’t wish to put the burden on him.
- In an interview, whereas speaking about her transition from being a batter to a bowler after which once more contributing to victories along with her bat, she mentioned,
I wish to be often known as an allrounder who excels in all three departments, in each sense of the time period. When individuals discuss of me as an allrounder, I’d like them to say, “Pooja ko sab kuch aata hai, aur acchi tarah se aata hai (Pooja can do all the things, and he or she’s good at all the things).”