Outdoor patio furniture can be exciting to shop for. Styling your patio with fancy furniture or something classic can accentuate the look of your patio and make it aesthetically pleasing. Your patio is going to be a place where you will have the most chill sessions, get-togethers with friends, BBQ nights, or just a place for you to hang out with yourself. As you decide on buying new outdoor patio furniture, the first thing you must consider is the material that will be best suited for your furniture.
The material of your outdoor patio furniture is going to be the most important aspect. An investment like furniture is expected to last for long and not get spoiled by factors such as weather. Throughout the year, your furniture outside is going to be in contact with rain, humidity, dust and many such things. Durable furniture can easily endure and withstand the changes in weather and not cost you thousands. You can not find material for your furniture that is 100% waterproof, but there are numerous materials that can be used to craft outdoor furniture that can withstand harsh conditions.
Factors to consider for outdoor furniture material:
Rain and moisture can spoil your furniture easily if it is made with materials that cannot sustain moisture. If you live in a place where it rains a lot and you experience frequent rainstorms, you need your furniture to be strong enough to not degrade in such a season. Moisture or contact with rain does not just affect the furniture, but can also degrade and pose risks to one’s health.
It is very easy for fungi to be born and thrive in a place where there is a lot of humidity present. If you’re using furniture made of organic materials, it can retain water and can easily give rise of mold, mildew, and rot. This can cause respiratory problems.
Make sure that your metals will not easily rust or corrode. If your metal patio furniture is in constant contact with water and oxygen, the process of oxidation can cause it to rust easily.
Warping can take place easily if furniture traps water easily and the penetration of water is allowed. The form and shape of the furniture can warp, i.e. be twisted.
- Extensively used
- Has an aesthetic appeal
- Pressure-treated pine, cedar, and fir are inexpensive materials but need protection when in use
- Hardwoods can resist damage and can exist for a long time
- Fine-grained, expensive hardwood
- Durable and does not break easily, crack, or warp.
- Has a naturally high oil content which keeps it safe from decay, rot, and insects
- Is expensive
- Stainless Steel
- Best metal alloy for dining tables and furniture that can withstand weight
- Can endure extreme temperatures
- Does not blow away during extreme weather conditions
- Easy to clean
- Expensive and retains heat
- It is lightweight
- Weather-resistant and can survive extreme conditions
- Not very expensive and very easy to clean
- Strong and does not budge
- Wrought Iron:
- Can last for years and years if taken adequate care of
- Extremely malleable and can be shaped by heating
- Gives an artisan feel
- Needs a lot of care
- Can rust easily
- Retains heat and cold
- Resin and Plastic:
- Man-made material
- Not eco friendly
- Made with polymers that can easily take on shapes and sizes.
- Easy to clean and maintain
We hope that on your journey of finding the ideal furniture, you will keep these things in mind. Furniture needs to be durable and strong. Anything else can keep blowing away and cause harm while also defeating the purpose of having furniture. If you can store your furniture in a basement or garage, do so to save it from any harm!